- 500g potato, peeled and grated
- 200g mature cheddar, grated
- 100g soft breadcrumb
- bunch spring onions, thinly slice
- 2 eggs
500g pack shortcrust pastry
a little flour, for dusting
2 tbsp Marmite
- Put the grated potato, cheese, breadcrumbs and spring onions into a mixing bowl with 1 egg. Sprinkle over 1 tsp salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Mix together.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to just slightly thicker than a £1 coin. Use a 16-17cm saucer or bowl to cut out 6 circles of pastry – you may need to re-roll trimmings to get the last one. Warm the Marmite in a small pan or in the microwave with a splash of water so it is a bit runnier, then brush over each circle, leaving a 2-3cm border around each edge.
- Divide the filling between the middles of each circle, then beat remaining egg and brush a little around each border. For each, bring up 2 sides of pastry to meet over the filling, and pinch and crimp to seal into a pasty shape. If eating straight away, transfer pasties to a baking sheet and chill while you heat oven to 140C fan.
- Brush the pasties all over with more egg. Bake for 50 mins-1 hr until golden brown and crisp. Eat warm, or cool, in the next 24 hrs. Serve with Bodkin's